WINTER PARK, Fla. — Chef Julian Chanaga is super-proud of a mac ‘n’ cheese that is unlike what your mama made.
“You’re going to love it,” he insists, while prepping the mushrooms inside the Winter Park Collective’s Osteria. “I’m not vegan myself. I eat everything. But I value all sorts of cooking.”
In this week’s Chef’s Kitchen is a vegan mac (hello vegan Alfredo!), with mushroom and white wine infusion.
Vegan Mac ‘N’ Cheese (Serves 4)
- 2 ounces of vegan butter or oil
- ½ cup of white wine
- 10-12 ounces of mixed mushrooms
- 12-16 ounces of vegan Alfredo
- 2-4 garlic cloves
- 1 box of cooked pasta of your choosing
- 1 large shallot or small red onion
- ½ cup of breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup of vegan cheese
- Add butter to a medium-hot pan, and put on high heat.
- Add mushrooms, and sear for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and shallots or red onion, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze with the white wine, and cook off the alcohol.
- Add your cooked pasta and vegan Alfredo.
- Once the ingredients are hot, add cheese.
- Plate and top it off with breadcrumbs, vegan parmesan and scallions.