A woman with a dairy allergy died after eating a wrap that was labeled vegan but included dairy products.
Source: 5 News/Youtube
The woman grabbed a wrap from Pret a Manger, a sandwich shop chain in the United Kingdom. The mother of five collapsed while she was shopping with her family. The paramedic reported that some shoppers continued to step over her while she was being treated on the ground.
Her husband told the court, “She began to feel funny after eating the wrap. I thought she was being silly because the sandwich had been labeled vegan.”
After she had eaten the wrap, she was struggling to breathe. The woman “religiously avoided” all dairy products following an almost fatal allergic reaction months prior. She was rushed to the hospital but pronounced dead shortly after.
Pret a Manger has been charged with food safety failures, but the prosecution later dropped the case because of lack of evidence. The company said that it would cooperate.
For more Animal, Earth, Life, Vegan Food, Health, and Recipe content published daily, subscribe to the One Green Planet Newsletter! Also, don’t forget to download the Food Monster App on the App Store. With over 15,000 delicious recipes, it is the largest meatless, vegan, and allergy-friendly recipe resource to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy! Lastly, being publicly-funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!