This dish is made with delicious mushrooms and green beans and makes a perfect side dish for any occasion!
Sauteed Mushrooms and Green Beans [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons butter (vegan butter is a great healthy alternative)
- 1 lb fresh wild mushrooms, cleaned, sliced and stemmed (shiitake mushrooms, oysters, criminis, chanterelles, porcinis)
- 4 ea fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine (sub Marsala, Sherry, sweet dry rice wine) (make sure it’s vegan!)
- 1 cup whipped coconut cream or cashew cream
- 1 lb fresh haricot verts (french green beans), trimmed
- Fresh ground black pepper, Himalayan or sea salt
- Avocado oil (for deep-frying)
- 2 ea large leeks, thinly sliced crosswise (white parts only)
- Over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons vegan butter in a large heavy skillet or sauté pan.
- Add all the mushrooms and thyme sprigs and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of shallots and continue to sauté until mushrooms are tender, about another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer until almost all the liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Add vegan cream and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Set sauce aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add a little bit of salt.
- Par-cook green beans in the large pot of boiling salted water until just tender (al dente), about 3-5 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer green beans to a bowl of ice water; allow to cool, about 3-4 minutes. Drain.
- Pour enough avocado oil into a large, deep saucepan to reach a depth of about 1.5”.
- Heat oil to 350°F.
- Place 1/4 of sliced leeks in a small metal strainer. Lower strainer into oil; fry until golden, about 20-30 seconds. Lift the strainer from the oil. Drain leeks on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining leeks in 3-4 more batches or until finished.
- Season leeks lightly with salt.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add green beans and the remaining 1 tablespoon shallots.
- Lightly toss green beans to heat through, but do not cook further.
- Season beans with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place beans on a platter.
- Bring sauce to a simmer.
- Spoon sauce over beans.
- Sprinkle the dish with the fried leeks as garnish.