Protein is one of three macronutrients in the body and builds and repairs muscle tissue. Whether you’re vegan, or vegetarian, incorporating quality sources of protein into your diet is something you should be paying attention to.
@dietitianleah_ pair these foods to make complete protein! #veganfood #plantbased #plantbaseddiet #veganmeals ♬ Drive Forever – Remix – Sergio Valentino
While plant-based sources of protein are always beneficial, making sure you’re getting a complete source of protein (a protein that has nine essential amino acids) is vital since our body cannot make it on its own and it must be added through our diet.
There are many variations of plant-based foods that can be combines to form a complete protein:
- Beans and nuts/seeds
- Nut butter and bread
- Hummus and bread
- Bean chili and crackers
- Refried beans and tortillas
- Lentils and rice
- Peas and pasta
You can follow Leah Forristall, RD on TikTok for more nutrition content!
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and important stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!