It wasn’t too long ago that this McDonald’s look-alike took TikTok by storm, and users began to dub the vegan fast-food restaurant “vegan McDonalds.” The restaurant blew up after Lizzo posted a review of the ‘Frowny Meal’ on TikTok. Now, that vegan McDonalds called Mr. Charlie’s, just opened its first San Francisco location.
Source: KTLA 5/YouTube
The McDonald’s doppelganger is the exact opposite of Mcdonald’s. The owner Charlie Kim wanted to open a restaurant that offered any menu item you would find at Mcdonald’s but vegan. Instead of a Happy Meal, at Mr. Charlie’s, you’ll get a plant-based ‘Frowny Meal.’
The first restaurant began on La Brea Avenue in Los Angeles and thanks to Lizzo’s positive rating, the restaurant blew up, allowing them to now open their second location in San Francisco. Lizzo has been very vocal about her journey to plant-based, and she said so many people were sending her this new restaurant, so she had to check it out!
The SF location is located near San Francisco’s Union Square at 432 Sutter Street. While they are currently only open for delivery in SF, they plan to officially open on December 31 to ring in the new year!
The company has the same look as Mcdonald’s and even sports the same red and yellow colors. It could easily be mistaken for a Mcdonald’s. The menu features the Not a Hamburger with an Impossible patty, the Not a Cheeseburger, and the Double Not, which is double patties and double cheese. Don’t forget the Not Chicken Nuggets and the fries.
The Frowny Meal includes a Not a Burger, fries, Not Chicken Nuggets, and a drink. It’s served in the same red cardboard box as Happy Meals but involved absolutely no animal cruelty in the making!
Meatless meat has been rapidly expanding throughout the United States and across Europe. Companies like Dunkin Donuts and Burger King are offering meatless options to consumers. Beyond Meat and Impossible Burger are continuing to grow as they are found in more grocery stores and restaurants around the country.
Let’s not forget it’s a lot healthier to make burgers at home, here are some amazing resources for you:
Easy Ways to Help the Planet:
- Eat Less Meat: Download Food Monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store, to help reduce your environmental footprint, save animals and get healthy. You can also buy a hard or soft copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce Your Fast Fashion Footprint: Take the initiative by standing up against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like Tiny Rescue that raise awareness around important issues through recycled zero-waste clothing designed to be returned and remade over and over again.
- Support Independent Media: Being publicly funded gives us a greater chance to continue providing you with high-quality content. Please consider supporting us by donating!
- Sign a Petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals, and the planet.
- Stay Informed: Keep up with the latest news and essential stories involving animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health, and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do What You Can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse stuff, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, switch to cold water laundry, divest from fossil fuels, save water, shop wisely, donate if you can, grow your food, volunteer, conserve energy, compost, and don’t forget about the microplastics and microbeads lurking in common household and personal care products!
Leave a Reply